President M. Roy Wilson released a statement today in response to a tense Wayne State Board of Governors meeting last week in which three members questioned Wilson’s leadership regarding medical school negotiations.
“I have no plan at this time to abandon my commitment to achieving our vision of being a pre-eminent, public, urban research university,” Wilson said. “It has been exhilarating to experience progress on so many fronts together, from the fastest increase in graduation rates in the nation to exceeding our campaign goal; from record research funding to the largest full-time freshman class in our 151-year history. I intend to continue on that path.”
At the BOG meeting, members Michael Busuito, Sandra Hughes O’Brien and Dana Thompson criticized Wilson’s handling of negotiations with the Henry Ford Health System, particularly the “financial costs of the medical school consultants and their lack of results,” Thompson said.
“The actions of the Roy Wilson I know serving at the direction of the board are a disgrace to this university,” Thompson said at the meeting March 20. “If Roy Wilson has any shred of integrity left in him, he would be leaving this university after today’s board meeting.”
Wilson said the university will find a way to continue to serve the best interests of the university and the surrounding community.
“I ask that each of you continue to focus on your role in serving our mission,” Wilson said. “The progress I noted above was made possible by all of you, without whom we could not be the great university we are.”
The next BOG meeting is scheduled for May 1.
Read Wilson's full statement here.