On Jan. 30, President M. Roy Wilson sent out a statement to the entirety of Wayne State University on the topic of sexual assault in response to the sentencing of Larry Nassar.
Nassar is a former sports physician at Michigan State University and a team doctor for the USA Gymnastics team who was sentenced to 40-175 years in prison for child sexual abuse after assaulting over 160 women.
“I want to express my heartfelt sympathy for all of the victims and their families during this painful time,” Wilson said in the statement. “We have many friends and colleagues at Michigan State who are shocked and saddened by these incidents, and they deserve our utmost compassion as well.”
Nassar worked with WSU’s Athletic Department from 1985 to 1989 as a graduate assistant athletic trainer, according to the Detroit Free Press. His behavior during his career at WSU has not been investigated.
Wilson does not address this in his statement.
“While we do not believe that there are similar issues at [WSU], we cannot be overly self-assured,” Wilson said. “Our policies and practices must — and we believe do — ensure prompt and effective responses.”
Wilson said the university will be, “conducting a thorough review of institutional policies to verify that our existing processes for reporting abuse are robust.”
While the university’s procedures for managing complaints were reinforced after the fallout of the Penn State incidents in 2012, Wilson said WSU relies on individual reports of inappropriate behavior.
As per the statement, if you have witnessed or been the victim of sexual misconduct, here are some helpful resources:
• Call the Wayne State University Police Department at 313-577-2222. Our police force is highly trained and very responsive.
• If you have a complaint involving unlawful discrimination or harassment, contact the Office of Equal Opportunity at 313-577-2280.
• Title IX concerns and complaints should be directed to either Associate General Counsel and Interim Title IX Coordinator Linda Galante at 313-577-2268 or firstname.lastname@example.org, or Dean of Students and Deputy Title IX Coordinator David Strauss at 313-577-1010 or email@example.com.
• To report an incident or share concerns confidentially, contact the Office of Internal Audit through their anonymous hotline at 313-577-5138, or give an anonymous tip online.
• If you are unsure whether or where to report the matter, please call the Office of the General Counsel at 313-577-2268.